ADVICE: SERVERS & BACKEND DATABASE

From: Gene Berger <gberger_at_asacomp.com>
Date: 1997/03/14

I don't want to start a "My database is better then your database"

war ... but I need advice.

We are have two servers connected by a hub:
#1 10BaseT\Ethernet - Novell 4.1
#2 Coax - Novell 3.1

We will need to connect the new network to existing networks. The current 4.1 network are is max'ed out.

Currently, we use Foxpro\Visual Foxpro\Visual Basic for our database

needs. We need to start working with some gig sized databases

(number crunching\accounting stuff). Assuming we use Visual

Foxpro\Visual Basic, there are two questions.

What operating system do we go with (NT Server or Netware). What SQL backend should we use (MS SQL Server/Oracle/Sybase/etc)?

We are mostly accountants here that also do programming but know

very little about networking & client-server. We do not have a

systems administrator (I hate installing software that says "Ask

your network administrator".) Obviously we are going to have to

take classes in whatever platforms we choose.

But which platforms?

Thanks,
Gene Berger
Nationwide Warehouse & Storage
Columbus, OH Received on Fri Mar 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST