Re: ORACLE recover

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_netcom.ca>
Date: 1997/02/16

In article <32FA810F.6CF6_at_gw.siemens.nl>, Peter Nieberg <peter.nieberg_at_gw.siemens.nl> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a guestion about recovering an ORACLE-instance on a backup-server
>in case of the usual server being "disappeared" (fire, total system
>failure or whatever).

 [...]
>For instance : On tuesday 13.30h the system is "gone". The last archived
>REDO-logfile on tape is from tuesday 11.00h. So we take our tapes of the
>full weekend-backup and the concerning REDO-tapes, we move to the
>location where our backup-server is placed and we start recovering the
>entire database from the full-backup-tapes. After this we have a
>consistent database, but it's not totally recovered until timestamp
>"tuesday 11.00h".
>We tried all the possible "recover database..." - statements, but there
>seems no way to tell the controlfile to go "back to the future". Or is

Get the "Backup and Recovery" book published in the Oracle Press series ( I can't remember the author and mine is in the office. ). It not only has a lot of under-the-hood information on oracle in general and backup/recovery in specific, but approximately 1/3 of the book is dedicated to discussing various recovery scenarios in detail, i.e. detailing the failure situation, explaining the kind of recovery required and why, and giving a log of the recovery with the recovery commands highlighted.
An excellent book. Received on Sun Feb 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CST