ORACLE recover

From: Peter Nieberg <peter.nieberg_at_gw.siemens.nl>
Date: 1997/02/06

Hello,

I have a guestion about recovering an ORACLE-instance on a backup-server in case of the usual server being "disappeared" (fire, total system failure or whatever).
We have ORACLEv7.1.3 and UNIXv 5.43B on a RM600-server. Every weekend we make a full backup on tape of the instance. Every hour we perform a "switch logfile" after which the created REDO-logfile is being dumped on tape by NSRORA (ORACLE-NETWORKER).

In all the manuals is a lot of information on how to recover after a disk-crash fo after a file being corrupted. What i can't find is what to do when the ENTIRE SYSTEM is gone and the instance has to be rebuild on the backup-server. The problem is that i can't fool the controlfile by saying : "the instance is consistent, but we still want to go forward in time".

For instance : On tuesday 13.30h the system is "gone". The last archived REDO-logfile on tape is from tuesday 11.00h. So we take our tapes of the full weekend-backup and the concerning REDO-tapes, we move to the location where our backup-server is placed and we start recovering the entire database from the full-backup-tapes. After this we have a consistent database, but it's not totally recovered until timestamp "tuesday 11.00h".
We tried all the possible "recover database..." - statements, but there seems no way to tell the controlfile to go "back to the future". Or is there .......?????

Thanks,

Peter Nieberg Received on Thu Feb 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST