Re: Advice on how to become an Oracle DBA

From: Aram Meguerian <aram_at_unisys.com.br>
Date: 1997/01/26

   Jeff,

      As one that have just been promoted from Sr.Analyst to Oracle    Jr.DBA, the best way I see to do it is to get in the development    area for a few years (2-3 is a good time) just to feel the majors    problems you will face as a DBA from the other side.

      You go changing projects until you got a pretty pool of    experiences in a lot of different systems and then go looking for    a company willing to pay the proper courses and to employ you as    a Jr.DBA in an off-project where you can do as you like on the    database.

      Nothing is more exciting and full of opportunities as a new,    reccently created database to learn every kind of mistakes you    can do and still survive. More over if the project is still in    the development phase, going to be implanted soon.

      However, if you want to do it by yourself, there are some    interesting books, like "Oracle DBA Survival Guide", Jon Greene,    SAMS Publishing; and Oracle DBA Handbook, by Oracle Press.

      An last, there are some series of courses given by some companies    in agreement with the Oracle Corp., and a special serie for Oracle    DBA's.

      Hope I have been useful,

                     Aram Meguerian
                     aram_at_unisys.com.br

I don't work at Unisys, she is just my Internet Provider, so don't blame this company for anything I have said.