Re: Advice on how to become an Oracle DBA

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/01/25

jeff_at_city-net.com (Jeff Stagno) wrote:
>I am presently an MCSE working on a international Windows NT contract.
>I am very interested in becoming an Oracle DBA and I was wondering
>where should I start. I have recently bought a few Oracle books from
>Oracle Press (Oracle: A Beginner's Guide, and an Oracle PL/SQL intro
>book) and have really dived into them. I am also going to buy Oracle
>Personal Server to load on my PC at home so i can work through the
>examples. I would love to take the Oracle classes, but time does not
>permit me to do that right now.
>
>How can I get my foot in the door? And where do I start? I am willing
>to start at the very bottom as I would love to find someone who
>wouldn't mind working with me/letting me help out with Oracle
>databases on the weekend. I am willing to help out for free so I can
>get some first hand experience (I live in Pittsburgh).
>
>I would appreciate any advice, help, etc., that anyone could give.
>Just looking to get my foot in the door and work my way up. As I said
>I am willing to even help for free as I need a starting base of
>experience.
>
>Thanks to all who reply,
>Jeff Stagno

Hi there,

There are numerous Oracle DBA books in the market. The best I can suggest to start with is 'Oracle - Server concepts Manual'. Once you have a good understanding of the concepts, you can start with Oracle - Server Admin Guide. There are other books published by Oracle Press. You can try them after the above 2 books.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Sat Jan 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST