Advice on how to become an Oracle DBA

From: Jeff Stagno <jeff_at_city-net.com>
Date: 1997/01/24

I am presently an MCSE working on a international Windows NT contract. I am very interested in becoming an Oracle DBA and I was wondering where should I start. I have recently bought a few Oracle books from Oracle Press (Oracle: A Beginner's Guide, and an Oracle PL/SQL intro book) and have really dived into them. I am also going to buy Oracle Personal Server to load on my PC at home so i can work through the examples. I would love to take the Oracle classes, but time does not permit me to do that right now.

How can I get my foot in the door? And where do I start? I am willing to start at the very bottom as I would love to find someone who wouldn't mind working with me/letting me help out with Oracle databases on the weekend. I am willing to help out for free so I can get some first hand experience (I live in Pittsburgh).

I would appreciate any advice, help, etc., that anyone could give. Just looking to get my foot in the door and work my way up. As I said I am willing to even help for free as I need a starting base of experience.

Thanks to all who reply,
Jeff Stagno Received on Fri Jan 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST