Re: Best way to access Oracle databases with VB4???

From: Federico Grau <76165.3513_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1997/01/22

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

> I inherited a project that uses VB4-16bit with Oracle 7.x via ODBC
> recently.
> We are having problems with connections not releasing. My predecessor
> researched the problem thoroughly but to no avail. I am still determined
> solve this problem. If anyone has a solution for this well known problem,
> please let me in on it.
>
> Wayne Larimore
> dwljr_at_ionet.net

I have not tested this yet, but there was another thread with this subject.

This happens because JET caches the connection in case you want to use it
again so as to improve the performance.. To force the connection to be terminated add the fiollowing loine to vb.ini or the registry [odbc]
ConnectionTimeout = 1

This will force the connection to be closed if your system is idle for even
one second. You could put a Do Events code to ensure that your app is idle
for thios period of time.

Bharat Ahluwalia
Aditi
Access 2.0 -> SQL Server 6.x at http://www.aditi.com/updown

In a form's Unload event you should always

        Set frmThing = Nothing

Unloading a form destroys the visual components of the form but the code components (variables and objects) will persist. Setting the form to nothing destroys these.

Be aware that the ODBC drivers will maintain a connection to the data source even after your application thinks it has closed it so that, if the
application needs another connection, the current one can be re-used rather
than opening a new one. Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST