Re: Best way to access Oracle databases with VB4???

From: Kaarle Kaila <Kaarle.Kaila_at_fujitsu.fi>
Date: 1997/01/22

Xavier BRUNET <xavier_brunet_at_hp.com> wrote in article <32E4E263.5502_at_hp.com>...
> Hi,
>
> we will start developments in few weeks of software components that will
> access Oracle 7.3 databases on an NT server.
>
> We will develop under Visual Basic 4.0 - 32 bit.
>
> What is the best way to access databases, in terms of price, speed, an
> easyness of configuration (large deployments):
> - ODBC ?
> - RDO ?
> - Objects for OLE ?
> - ...
>
> I never practiced any of the solutions. So, your help is welcome to help
> me to choose...
>
> Xavier.

I have been doing some work with Oracle 7.3 and VB/VBA I have installed the Oracle ODBC driver 7.3 and the SQL*Net 2 from the Oracle CD.

The SQL*Net 2 needs the connect information in the directory /ORAxx/Network/Admin. The files tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnav.ora must be created. Consult for those your Oracle administrator. You can also try the SQL Net Easy configurator that comes with the Oracle software.

In VB you should use the DAO 2.5/3.x compatibility version. You can retrieve data from Oracle through Jet Engine with dbSQLPassthough set and you can make modifications to the database with the ExeclueSQL command.

This is enough if you intend to make reports e.g directly to Excel.

Everything else seems to fail in one way or other. I have even tried the new VBA5 libraries with Excel 97 and the same is true there. Perhaps The Oracle
link works better with the driver that Microsoft provides with VB4 (Visigenic).
I have used that driver too but I don't have it any more. The Visigenic driver fails
after a number (about 50) of connects to Oracle.

RDO cannot manage Oracle. DAO with ODBC directcannot do that either.

Kaarle

PS! If anybody out there knows any better ways to manage the VB/Oracle link I would like to hear from you. It seems that Oracle has no interest in VB from MS and MS has no interest in a database from Oracle or at least they dont seem to have the same notes.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~kakaila
mailto:Kaarle.Kaila_at_fujitsu.fi
mailto:Kaarle.Kaila_at_genealogia.org Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST