Re: Q: Why is 7.3.2.2 forcing 4 character SID limit???

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1996/12/12

Gary Assa wrote:
> ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
> SVR4 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> ORA-07306: sms1sg: shmget error, unable to get a shared memory segment.
> SVR4 Error: 17: File exists
> Additional information: 1
>
> when trying to create a 7.3.2.2 database. Well, it turns out that if I
> change my ORACLE_SID to 'tst2' instead of 'test02', I do not get the
> error. I know Oracle suggests a 4 character limit on the SID, but we have
> 5 or so databases, and there is no way would would change our SIDs to
> a 4 character limit.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem, or could it possibly be that I am
> running out of memory, and cutting off those 3 characters actually
> makes a difference????

  You can use longer than four characters in system identifier. Anyway, your error seems to indicate that some files are shared with other databases. As a result, when you rename the system identifier, all errors went. Please check the parameter file about the location of the control file, redo log files and rollback segments.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841