Re: Q: Why is 7.3.2.2 forcing 4 character SID limit???

From: Torfrid Leek <torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no>
Date: 1996/12/17

In article <32AFC72C.49DA_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>, "Lun Wing San (Oracle)" <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org> writes:
> Gary Assa wrote:
> > ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
> > SVR4 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > ORA-07306: sms1sg: shmget error, unable to get a shared memory segment.
> > SVR4 Error: 17: File exists
> > Additional information: 1
> >
> > when trying to create a 7.3.2.2 database. Well, it turns out that if I
> > change my ORACLE_SID to 'tst2' instead of 'test02', I do not get the
> > error. I know Oracle suggests a 4 character limit on the SID, but we have
> > 5 or so databases, and there is no way would would change our SIDs to
> > a 4 character limit.
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem, or could it possibly be that I am
> > running out of memory, and cutting off those 3 characters actually
> > makes a difference????
>
> You can use longer than four characters in system identifier. Anyway, your error seems
> to indicate that some files are shared with other databases. As a result, when you
> rename the system identifier, all errors went. Please check the parameter file about the
> location of the control file, redo log files and rollback segments.

It is certainly possible to have 7.3.2.2 databases with a SID longer than 4 characters.

We had this problem once, and we also thought the name was the problem - we wanted to call it TEST.
But it turned out that there were things hanging around from a previous db creation attempt. From the error messages you are getting it looks like it could be the sgadef file. We deleted that and semaphores, and a reboot fixed the problem.

Regards, Torfrid

torfrid.leek_at_usit.uio.no Received on Tue Dec 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CST