Q: Why is 7.3.2.2 forcing 4 character SID limit???

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_li.net>
Date: 1996/12/11

It's me again. I had the error:

ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga. SVR4 Error: 22: Invalid argument
ORA-07306: sms1sg: shmget error, unable to get a shared memory segment. SVR4 Error: 17: File exists
Additional information: 1

when trying to create a 7.3.2.2 database. Well, it turns out that if I change my ORACLE_SID to 'tst2' instead of 'test02', I do not get the error. I know Oracle suggests a 4 character limit on the SID, but we have 5 or so databases, and there is no way would would change our SIDs to a 4 character limit.

Does anyone else have this problem, or could it possibly be that I am running out of memory, and cutting off those 3 characters actually makes a difference????

            http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.