Re: Oraperl Question

From: Sandy Koczko <koczko_at_city-net.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

kevin kreeger wrote:

> I hope this is the right forum for this..
>
> I have a class assignment to create a WWW interface
> to an oracle database. I am using oraperl to access
> it and it seems so slow. Tests I have done
> show that it takes about 2-3 minutes to run the "ora_login"
> And then only a few second to run the SQL with
> ora_open and get the date with ora_fetch.
> SO, everytime I change to a new web page (and therfore
> a new perl script) I have to call ora_login again and
> wait 2-3 more minutes.
>
> Is there anyway around this? I tried passing the "$lda"
> along to the new script and using it there in the ora_open,
> but Oraperl complained.
>
> THanks in advance
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin:

I have recently been writing oraperl scripts to hook into a program called CVS, a configuration management tool. During one invocation of CVS, the hooked-in script gets called many times, logging on and off the Oracle database each time. It does 10 or so database accesses each time.

During a recent test, the script got called about 30 times and did all 30 logon-accesses-logoff sequences in 60 seconds. None of this stuff has been optimized for speed.

What platform are you running on? I'm using HP 9000/700, HP-UX 10, Oracle 7.3, Perl 4.6 and I-forget-what-version of Oraperl.

Are you running both client and server locally (using the ORACLE_SID environment variable) or accessing the server remotely (using TWO_TASK)? I'm using TWO_TASK, but both client and server are running on the same box for now (development and testing).

Are command-line Oracle programs like SQL*PLUS slow, too? Maybe your client or server boxes are overloaded. Or your network? My box is lightly loaded.

I don't know how much help this is, but you certainly should be able to get better connect times than 3 minutes per!

Good luck with your project.

Sandy Koczko Received on Thu Dec 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CST