Re: How to re-activate databases

From: Axel Schwenke <axel.schwenke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:44:17 +0200

[Quoted] On 05.06.2019 15:09, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> I recently installed MySQL 8.0.16.0 as new. The default location of the
> database folder is C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\Data. How can I
> make the MySQL server see the old databases? I copied the folders of the
> databases out of the old database folder into the current database folder,
> but they don't show up after I restarted MySQL80.

[Quoted] This won't work. For multiple reasons. For once: you must not copy anything into or out of the MySQL datadir while the server is running. Also you [Quoted] cannot normally copy just a database folder. You must always copy the *complete* datadir with all subfolders and files.

> Then I changed in the
> my.ini file the line C:/ProgramData/MySQL/MySQL Server 8.0/Data into
> "E:/MySQL Database".

[Quoted] That would be indeed the preferred way to reference to another datadir. Just make sure that the copy of the datadir is complete. That is has the right [Quoted] owner and access permissions. And you should first stop the MySQL service, then edit my.ini and then start the MySQL service.

> Restarting the MySQL service did not work, as it crashed.

Details? Received on Wed Jun 05 2019 - 16:44:17 CEST

Original text of this message