Re: Connect to db 3306 rights after 4yrs (Windows)

From: Kees Nuyt <k.nuyt_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 01:19:27 +0100

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:59:58 +0000 (UTC), vjp2.at_at_at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> I haven't used MySql in a few years.
> I am preparing to input a new db (20 mln recs)
> I thought I had to manually delete the files
> idb would not delete even witn gnu win rm.exe -f
> then I realised my sql create & load
> script had an if to drop table
>
> So I try to connect to the DB ( I have no notes how I did this). I just tried
> to connect without prior steps.
>
> And I get a statment that I can't connect to 3306 possibly because rights or
> password
>
> Goodenss, i can't remember the password if it somehow went away
>
> What do I do?
>
> Much obliged

YOu will have to stop the MySQL database service to remove the lock on the files, that prevent you from deleting / removing them.

If you find it too scary to remove the database and logfiles and want to access it as it is, there is a how to in the MySQL manual about resetting the root password.

The second hit in my favorite search engine on

        mysql manual reset root password
returns:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

Good luck!