Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 08:21:41 +0200

On 03/31/18 01:37, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Axel Schwenke wrote:
>

>> On 29.03.2018 22:02, J.O. Aho wrote:
>>> I would say bad design, the password is only for their front end and
>>> they leave the database without root password
>>
>> I don't think that this is correctly deduced. MySQL ships (for quite some
>> time now) with the auth_socket plugin [1] enabled and uses it for the
>> default "root_at_localhost" account. That means for connecting to MySQL as
>> root you don't need any password - when you run the "mysql" command as
>> user root.
>>
>> *I* think that Virtualmin just isn't aware of that. It asks for a password
>> that is never needed.

> You are both writing nonsense. Virtualmin is “a powerful and flexible web
> hosting control panel for Linux and BSD systems”. *No* secure Web server
> runs as “root” by default (and none should); usually it is “www-data”
> instead.

Not talking about as whom the web server is run as, but how the so called database root user password is used, as the password set during installation isn't used hasn't been set for the mysql database user root, it's only used as password to access the database through the web ui. Please don't assume things, read instead what people has written.

--

 //Aho