Re: Drop down suggestions (MySQL speed)

From: Gregor Kofler <usenet_at_gregorkofler.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 14:05:23 +0200

Am 2017-05-16 um 03:05 schrieb bit-naughty_at_hotmail.com:
> If I want to have drop down suggestions on a website (like Google does), with the actual suggestions coming from a MySQL table - is MySQL fast enough to handle such things? Like, if some one types "gr", it has to a SELECT FROM table WHERE term = "gr" - is the whole thing, reading from disk included n all, fast enough so that the suggestions will drop down INSTANTLY when "gr" is typed? Any tips n tricks on how to achieve this?

Unless your database is a behemoth and you get millions of visitors and you have forgotten all about smart database design MySQL will be underwhelmed by what you require.

The "dropdown" widgets frequently come with a timeout, i.e. a request is fired every say 0.5secs and normally returns a rather small list of suggestions. Instant it ain't - most of the response time will be consumed by your HTTP request-response cycle and your backend code.

Gregor Received on Thu May 18 2017 - 14:05:23 CEST

Original text of this message