Re: database sizes. was Does a blank field take up disk space?

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 11:15:00 +0100

On 01/08/16 04:26, John Levine wrote:
>>> I use a mysql database on my 1U server to track the incoming mail and
>>> what I did with it. The table of incoming SMTP connections has 276
>>> million rows, and the table of recipient addresses has 416 million
>>> rows, each partitioned into three pieces.
>>>
>>> The table listing the spam complaints has 23 million rows, and of the
>>> recipients of the spam has 37 million rows.
>>>
>>> It's using stock mysql from the FreeBSD ports. The performance is adequate
>>> for what I'm doing, and it has no problem keeping up with all the incoming
>>> mail and logging it in real time.
>>
>> And if you ever had to do anything serious with it, you'd find
>> performance is terrible. But obviously all you're doing is using it for
>> logging - which is low overhead.
>>
>> You might as well just use a flat file.
>
> Once again, it is not a very good idea to make assertions about
> databases you know nothing about. No, I don't just use it for
> logging.

I cant match that. a mere...

+-----------+
| count(id) |
| 543641 |

rows...

Mysql is very good and efficient at *simple* queries. But after waiting 4 hours for one complex query to complete (it didn't) I spent the next 2 hours coding it as separate queries in 'C' and it ran in 5 minutes...

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.