Re: database sizes. was Does a blank field take up disk space?

From: John Levine <johnl_at_iecc.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 23:10:56 +0000 (UTC)

>And what are you doing that has "hundreds of millions of rows"? I have
>yet to see anyone who is planning that to even get to hundreds of
>thousands of rows.

[Quoted] It's not a very good idea to make assertions about databases you know nothing about.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I use a mysql database on my 1U server to track the incoming mail and [Quoted] [Quoted] what I did with it. The table of incoming SMTP connections has 276 million rows, and the table of recipient addresses has 416 million rows, each partitioned into three pieces.

The table listing the spam complaints has 23 million rows, and of the recipients of the spam has 37 million rows.

It's using stock mysql from the FreeBSD ports. The performance is adequate for what I'm doing, and it has no problem keeping up with all the incoming mail and logging it in real time. Received on Mon Aug 01 2016 - 01:10:56 CEST

Original text of this message