Re: Importing database error

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 08:30:19 -0400

On 10/9/2015 7:04 AM, Derek Turner wrote:
> I have a database called u3a on my local development server. I want to
> import it to my (remote) production server.
>
> I export to the desktop in .sql.zip format but when I try to imposrt
> (using phpmyadmin in the remote server I get:
>
> #1044 - Access denied for user 'cl21-jerseyu3a'_at_'%' to database 'u3a'
>
> which permissions do I need to change and where, please? Google isn't
> helping :(

What permissions have you provided to your user for the database? It doesn't sound like you have granted any permissions.

Please note that in MySQL, permissions are also host based - that is, the local user cl21-jerseyu3a_at_localhost is different from a remote user cl21-jerseyu3a_at_(any other host).

As to what privileges you need - it depends on what you are doing. For instance, if the database is empty (no table have been created), you need the CREATE privilege. If they've been created but you're going to drop and recreate them, you need both DROP and CREATE privileges. You will need others, also - for instance, INSERT. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/privileges-provided.html for more information on the privileges you need.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address