Re: Design-stage advice and opinions welcomed

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:53:45 -0400

On 9/24/2015 5:15 PM, Derek Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:58:49 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>

>> Still, simply storing trivial strings as dates is not a viable approach
>> for an event calendar.  Can you think of a reason why

> No, I can't. it seems to me to be a excellent and robust way of handling
> this situation. ISTM that what I'm aiming for is not a set-in-stone
> calendar but a way of predicting what will happen, all other things being
> equal. For example, The Aardvard Appreciation group meets on the first
> monday and third tuesday of each month. That's human-readable and takes
> only a few characters to store. OK they won't meet between Christmas Eve
> and New Year's Day, nor the last two weeks of July and the whole of
> August - that's trivial to programme. There's nothing sacrosanct about
> the dates, this is what normally happens, and can easily be retrieved and
> rendered in a group's information because it's human-readable. Seriously,
> what's the problem? genuine question, I'm not doing a Richard.

First of all, don't worry about "Pointed Head". He's a well-known troll who doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground - although he is part of this belongs in comp.database.mysql. You really should have split this into two different posts).

As for your question: I think you need another table to identify when/where the events are taking place. You have:

time of meeting
date of 1st meeting e.g. 'first tuesday' ditto second
venue
convener
telephone of conv.
email of conv.

Is it guaranteed none of these will ever change? I don't think so. What you need is another event table which has individual meetings are indicated. You can fill it with specific dates and time as defaults, but they could change.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address