Re: Design-stage advice and opinions welcomed

From: Derek Turner <frderek_at_suremail.je>
Date: 24 Sep 2015 21:15:13 GMT

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:58:49 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> Still, simply storing trivial strings as dates is not a viable approach
> for an event calendar. Can you think of a reason why

No, I can't. it seems to me to be a excellent and robust way of handling this situation. ISTM that what I'm aiming for is not a set-in-stone calendar but a way of predicting what will happen, all other things being equal. For example, The Aardvard Appreciation group meets on the first monday and third tuesday of each month. That's human-readable and takes only a few characters to store. OK they won't meet between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day, nor the last two weeks of July and the whole of August - that's trivial to programme. There's nothing sacrosanct about the dates, this is what normally happens, and can easily be retrieved and rendered in a group's information because it's human-readable. Seriously, what's the problem? genuine question, I'm not doing a Richard. Received on Thu Sep 24 2015 - 23:15:13 CEST

Original text of this message