Re: Complicated query

From: Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 20:46:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 19:57:02 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> True, but I would argue one point. Phone should be a separate table

Yep. In my defence it was a hastily contrived example after going back and reading the OPs first two posts to show that yes, in fact within the phraeseology used by the OP a single record containing multiple answers might be a valid design.

The "questions" of "the widget company" might be:

part number?

weight?
length?
height?

width?
material?
description?
colour?[1]

richard's proposed design was something else entirely, he was proposing a single record per question containing all possible answers, and an indicator which was the correct one - which doesn't actually match the OPs scenario at all. In the widget company scenario, richard would have all possible part numbers as separate columns in the answers table ... as there are more part numbers than colours I guess there's a lot of blank fields in the colours column ... oh wait, richardian design, we use single record tables for this. ;)

[1] The widget company is based in the uk!

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon_at_gmail.com