Re: RMAN backup size is almost bigger twice than all of tablespace used size?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:16:33 -0500

On 11/15/23 10:17, Quanwen Zhao wrote:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> Sorry, I forget to mention my RMAN backup is no compression and I've
> checked all of the backup sets by v$backup_set_details that has a
> column compressed. BTW the Archived Log has just only 20 GB, so the
> datafile of rman backup is only 1300 - 20 = 1280 GB, 1280 >> 600 ?
>
> Best Regards
> Quanwen Zhao

How many archive logs did you back up? RMAN doesn't backup just data files, if I remember correctly. Some of the databases that I am working with use 4GB redo logs. Few hundreds of those can really mess up your space, so that you can enjoy your ORA-00257 in the middle of the night. And the bad news is that archive logs typically do not compress well.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant