Re: Duplicate v9i database to P-I-T

From: Michael Pecoraro <mikejp_at_buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 18:44:46 +0000

Oracle9i Supplied PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference Release 2 (9.2)
DBMS_FLASHBACK
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_flashb.htm#1656

Michael J Pecoraro
Database Administrator | Enterprise Infrastructure Services University at Buffalo Information Technology (UBIT) 334 Computing Center | Buffalo, NY 14260 716-645-7765

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 2:35 PM
To: Michael Pecoraro <mikejp_at_buffalo.edu> Cc: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Duplicate v9i database to P-I-T

Doesn't look like flashback was available in 9i. I see it with our 10g databases. I'll see if logminer might work. I'm not sure how they deleted the rows.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sandy

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 12:08 PM Michael Pecoraro <mikejp_at_buffalo.edu<mailto:mikejp_at_buffalo.edu>> wrote: It likely has been too long at this point, but I believe flashback existed in 9i. You may be able to select the data using flashback query and insert it into a new table for analysis.

Mike

---

Michael J Pecoraro

Database Administrator | Enterprise Infrastructure Services University at Buffalo Information Technology (UBIT)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com<mailto:sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>> Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 1:20 PM
To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Duplicate v9i database to P-I-T

OS: Solaris 5.8
Oracle: 9.2.0.8 ( I knew this would bite us one day, but I have no control over it.)

Problem: Someone purged all the data from a single table, now they want it recovered to a P-I-T Backups are still on disk, but have aged out. When I list backup of datafile 1, it shows the oldest backup is one day after the one I need. Unfortunately, you can't catalog backups in 9i. We also no longer have Oracle support because the company thought it was a waste of money. Is there anything I can do to duplicate a new database from the backups I need?

Also unfortunate that the production database and the clone are on the same server. Again, I had no choice in the matter. Am I totally screwed in recovering that table?

--

Sandy B.

--

Sandy B.