Re: Moving to AWS Oracle RDS from Oracle RAC - tnsnames.ora?

From: Rajeev Prabhakar <rprabha01_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:48:58 -0400

  David,

Off the top, it doesn’t look like modifying SID is

an option for RDS (non-custom/non-EC2 based),

Please see the following from aws documentation..

 —-

 For the Oracle database engine, database name is used to set the value of ORACLE_SID, which must be supplied when connecting to the Oracle RDS instance.

 —-

Essentially, it seems that for RDS (non-custom/non-EC2) the RDS db would have to be recreated if SID needs anything other than whatever DB name was picked /chosen during the installation time.

 Rajeev