Re: Datapatch while users/applications are connected?

From: Rajesh Aialavajjala <r.aialavajjala_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:38:21 -0500

Chris,

The following MOS documents discuss "conditional" rolling patching in a RAC environment w/o the need to "startup upgrade" prior to invoking datapatch ...you might wish to see if these are applicable to your DB version and / or compatible w/ your business requirements.

18c : Datapatch New Features And Changes from 12.1 (Doc ID 2420120.1) RAC Rolling Install Process for the "Oracle JavaVM Component Database PSU/RU" (OJVM PSU/RU) Patches (Doc ID 2217053.1) Transparent rolling updates of OJVM components - Oracle Database 21c (Doc ID 2802019.1)

I am not advocating or suggesting that this approach be adopted as a best practice - just wished to make mention of the enhancements that have been made to datapatch...

Thanks,

--Rajesh