Re: OEL versus RHEL

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 16:35:57 -0500

On 11/8/22 09:48, Hameed, Amir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently run RHEL in our data centers. The nature of our workload
> is heterogeneous, that is, we run both Oracle (E-Business Suite,
> Fusion Middleware, Siebel, etc.) and non-Oracle applications. The
> company is looking into switching to OEL with the idea of saving
> costs. Since I have not worked with OEL before, I am trying to
> understand if strictly from Oracle products and especially databases’
> standpoint, are there any performance enhancement features in OEL that
> makes OEL better than RHEL when running Oracle workloads.
>
> I am already aware of the pre-installation RPMs available on OEL to
> help install required packages with one click.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Amir

Hi Amir,

OL is completely compatible with RHEL. OL has a newer kernel ("uek" which stands for "unbreakable enterprise kernel") and it has ASM drivers in the kernel. The RPM packages are compatible and it is possible to install any RHEL package to OL. There are issues with OL9, I've had problems installing Oracle 19c. OL8 works fine. OL8 has "uek" kernel 5.4, which is pretty recent. There are no differences whatsoever. Also, you can buy support for OL and you can buy on-line patching, just as with RHEL. OL is a good distribution. Interestingly enough, it also exists for ARM64 architecture. Unfortunately, Oracle RDBMS does not exist for ARM64 architecture.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant