RE: Oracle RMAN backup for RAC Policy Managed DB

From: Michael Pecoraro <mikejp_at_buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 14:19:41 +0000

That’s basically what we do in many cases. Our backup script is scheduled on all cluster nodes via cron. It checks if a specific resource is online on that node, if yes, then runs the backup. We check a resource like ora.cvu, ora.mgmtdb, or a generic application resource that we create that runs on only one node of our clusters. That has worked well for us. However, that results in all backups running on the same node of the cluster. If you prefer to balance backups across multiple nodes, then you will need to build that into your process.

Michael J Pecoraro

Database Administrator | Enterprise Infrastructure Services

University at Buffalo Information Technology (UBIT)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Sanjay Mishra Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 4:24 PM To: Oracle List <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Oracle RMAN backup for RAC Policy Managed DB

One option I was thinking to create a Singleton service and then check to take the backup if the service is running on that node else skip it. Not sure if this is good way or please do share any other better way

Tx

Sanjay

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 04:19:26 PM EDT, Sanjay Mishra <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org <mailto:dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> > wrote:

Hi

I had 5 Node RAC with Policy managed database, where multiple PDB running based on importance and I had to create the cron shell script to take the backup. Most of Container DB are on two nodes only. As Policy managed database changed their Instance Name on each failover and they can also go to any other node based on serverpool and Database configuration. So can some one share as what can be best way to put cron running from all nodes and making sure only one backup of a particular database is running on daily basis.

Appreciate any help in the logic

Tx

Sanjay