Re: ideal CPU/Memory relation

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:20:50 -0400

On 8/19/22 03:02, Lothar Flatz wrote:
Hi,

had somebody ever heard of a ideal CPU/Memory relation for a database server?
A supplier of a customer stated such thing,
I suppose they made it up.
Any comments?

Thanks

Lothar

Hi Lothar,

The question doesn't make much sense. The first question is: what kind of database? OLTP? Reporting? Data warehouse? Second, your question doesn't include I/O. I happens to be of the utmost importance for any type of database. It depends on the database use where do you want to put your fastest storage. With an OLTP database, the best storage goes to redo logs. With the data warehouse, you want your data to be read really fast. If possible, you want the unnecessary blocks to be eliminated by Bloom filters on the storage itself.

So, a monster with 144 Xeon cores and 2TB or DDR5 RAM may be very fast or even too slow, depending on the use and type of storage. It stands to reason than in the database world, the storage is of paramount importance, yet your question is about CPU and memory. I believe that this is the best answer to your question: https://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-17

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Original text of this message