Re: ideal CPU/Memory relation

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:17:20 -0400

My understanding is that you'd want "balanced configuration" for your DIMMs if you want max memory performance (and not just amount of RAM).

So, the best is to have an integer multiple of memory channels DIMMs populated. So if you have a single socket Xeon with 6 memory channels, but 8 DIMM slots on the motherboard, for best memory perf you'd put 6 DIMMs there, not 8 (of course, following the vendor guidelines of which slots to populate first). Similarly, if your motherboard has 16 DIMM slots, then you'd populate only 12 slots if your CPU has only 6 memory channels.

https://www.wwt.com/article/memory-population-guidelines-for-intel-3rd-gen-xeon-scalable-processors

Tanel