Re: ideal CPU/Memory relation

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:54:59 +0200

What really matters here is the physical layout, because modern CPUs have memory attached to them more or less directly. This principle of CPUs with their memory attached is called NUMA.

By default, at least in the past, Oracle and linux did not have numa specific optimisations enabled. With these not being enabled, memory is divided evenly over "all memories", and thus your memory latency is the average of all memory latencies. With non-ideal NUMA (having different and higher latencies between certain numa nodes), the latency might be higher than a smaller box with less numa nodes, and thus will memory closer by, and thus with lower latency.

If numa is enabled, it still needs care and attention. Then memory might be explicitly allocated locally, but if you make the scheduler schedule a process on a non-numa-local CPU, your memory all of a sudden is remote and slow.

Frits