sqlplus set feedback ONLY questions when hitting 12.1 database

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:52:57 -0400

So a Dev just sent me a query to work on where he's using SET FEEDBACK ONLY - so I had to look it up.

The problem is, he's using a 19c sqlplus client connected to a 12.1 database where FEEDBACK ONLY wasn't available.

So I'm curious and haven't traced it [yet] , doesn't anyone know what the database does in this case?

I'm imagining that in 12.1 it will skip the FETCH (because FEEDBACK ONLY wasn't available) whereas in 12.2 and above the database will perform the FETCH. Does anyone know? (Before I trace it myself - I don't want to answer a question for myself that someone else already knows)

Chris