Re: Auditing with Unified audit

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:25:20 +0000

Cee Pee, what you have stated you want to do involves a lot of performance overhead and storage space. Personally, I do not think it is a practical requirement and you can find support for my position in various Oracle support documents.

"Auditing everything is not realistic. Auditing specific sensitive columns is what is intended." 12c Unified Auditing used with Data Guard (Doc ID 2021747.1)

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Andy Wattenhofer <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022 4:55 PM
To: carlospena999_at_gmail.com <carlospena999_at_gmail.com> Cc: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Auditing with Unified audit

'Drop table' is not an auditable action. See table 13-1 in the documentation<https://clicktime.symantec.com/38h79ECGzGM1s79q6RbhgHx6xn?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.oracle.com%2Fen%2Fdatabase%2Foracle%2Foracle-database%2F19%2Fsqlrf%2FCREATE-AUDIT-POLICY-Unified-Auditing.html%23GUID-8D6961FB-2E50-46F5-81F7-9AEA314FC693> for the auditable actions.

You'll want to create the policy as such: create audit policy all_actions_pol actions all;

And then enable it for all users:
audit policy all_actions_pol

Alternately you can enable it for all users with some exceptions: audit policy all_actions_pol;
  except dbsnmp;

Andy

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 3:29 PM Cee Pee <carlospena999_at_gmail.com<mailto:carlospena999_at_gmail.com>> wrote: All,

Requirement: we want all actions, including DDL and DML by all users to be captured and want to see the SQL statements executed. v19c

I am reading up on Unified auditing. So far I have not come across one command that will let me do it. I am looking for something like "CREATE AUDIT POLICY test_policy audit all by <user>" or preferably one option to audit all actions by all users in one command. Doing it for every table is painful and new tables (sometimes even new schemas) get created regularly. This is not an OLTP system so not lots of queries but we have long running queries by a handful of users (less than 8). So there is going to be little overhead. Company security wants all actions by all users to be captured.

It seems there is a command to audit all system actions ("CREATE AUDIT POLICY all_actions_pol ACTIONS ALL") which doesnt seem to capture a drop table action by a user when I tested; the Unified Audit option is set to true in DB after relinking binaries and I also executed flush_unified_audit_trail after the drop table session user logged off his session.

By the way, we are open to doing either traditional or unified auditing.

CP.