Re: Parallel Query change from smart scan to cell single block access

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 16:10:03 -0400

Check the v$sesstat metrics, there's nowadays plenty of feedback from storage cells telling how "deep" the offload processing actually was or if there was pushback/passthrough caused

Common causes for smart scan "hiccups" with single block reads:

  1. chained rows
  2. migrated rows for some operations (update, maybe select for update etc)
  3. uncommitted transactions in blocks (or not trivially cleanable blocks in storage)

But v$sesstat metrics will tell you more.

Here's an article from 12 years ago, where chained rows caused problems for a smart scan.

   -

http://tech.e2sn.com/oracle/exadata/performance-troubleshooting/exadata-smart-scan-performance

Things have somewhat improved by now, but back then the "cell chained rows%" metrics didn't even exist, had to reason by looking at other metrics, like the "table fetch continued row" and the difference of "processing depth" at cache & txn layer vs data layer in the storage cells:

    869, DWH       , STAT, table fetch continued row               ,
   3660,        732,
    869, DWH       , STAT, cell blocks processed by cache layer    ,
   5428,      1.09k,
    869, DWH       , STAT, cell blocks processed by txn layer      ,
   5428,      1.09k,
    869, DWH       , STAT, cell blocks processed by data layer     ,
   3625,        725,

--
Tanel Poder
https://learn.tanelpoder.com