Re: Parallel Query change from smart scan to cell single block access

From: <l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 17:24:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,
yes, it has been a while ago. My guess was that the runtime system can make similar decisions with respect to the cell flash cache as it can with respect to the buffer cache. For the buffer cache Tanel explains it here: https://tanelpoder.com/2013/05/29/forcing-smart-scans-on-exadata-is-_serial_direct_read-parameter-safe-to-use-in-production/. The point is that in highly dynamic situation blocks that were present when the runtime system made it's decission are no longer cached when they should be scanned. In such a situation I believe that a single blok read is done to fill the gap. Which will delay the scan and increase that likelyhood that more blocks needed would be uncached. This is a very difficult issue and I could never proof it. It could be that I am mistaken. It is also possible that it is not a cell flash cache phenomenon but rather the buffer cache issue. Thanks
Lothar