Re: Block Change Capture Questions

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 07:03:04 -0800

Scott,

Block Change Tracking (BCT) has been a feature since 10.1, so it has been more than 15 years (at least) since it was introduced.  It has been turned on for some extremely "busy" production databases, impact on transaction performance is negligible if anything, and the impact on incremental backup duration is generally dramatic.  The BCT file itself should be treated like any other Oracle datafile, is self-purging, and is backed up by RMAN.

BCT is not a perfect mechanism, and usage patterns where there are more than 7-8 incrementals between each full backup can overwhelm the purported 8-bit tracking byte, causing incremental backups to revert to pre-BCT behavior and duration.  Periodically querying V$BACKUP_DATAFILE to check whether DATAFILE_BLOCKS *0.75 > BLOCKS_READ where USED_CHANGE_TRACKING = 'YES' can let you know if this is happening by checking if incremental backups are still generating a lot of I/O (i.e. 75% the size of the datafile at time of backup) despite BCT being enabled.

Also, enabling BCT on a physical standby database is a trigger for licensing the Active DataGuard option, which can be an unpleasant surprise if not intended.

Hope this helps,

-Tim