Re: [EXTERNAL] ORA-1017 remote login SYS as SYSDBA

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:47:44 -0500

On 2/22/22 08:23, Andy Sayer wrote:
Simple passwords created with format=12 work fine for me. You should have gotten an error message if the password you gave orapwd originally didn’t match the requirements of the format version (OPW-00029). As long as orapwd reports success and it’s the right file name in the right place and Oracle can read it, it should work.

As an aside for the thread, you should be securing your sys user as much as possible. Eg Using a case insensitive password of 5 alphabetic characters is not a good idea.

Thanks,
Andy

I've had a problem with Data Guard when using format=12 with Oracle 19c. The primary would not authenticate on standby. I had to switch to 12.2 and later format.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Original text of this message