Re: SQL Server & MySQL

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:28:39 -0800

I might be able to assist here- I’d recommend, while it’s still up, (Bob and Bob are starting to curate it) as there’s years of content out therehttps: //bobsql.com/

The documentation is a great place to begin, as mentioned. Kalen Delaney is now at Microsoft and wrote internals for years. Also would recommend looking for anything from Glenn Berry, Paul Randal and Kimberly Tripp- they saved me more times than I can count when I was first learning SQL Server in the 90’s. Jen and Sean McCown, are also fantastic internals folks who have written books and blog.

For MySQL, David Stokes and George Trujillo are excellent choices…

Hope this helps and let me know if you need an introduction on the SQL Server side, Kyle. I meet every Friday for a virtual happy hour with some of the folks above and am still connected from pre-pandemic speaking with the rest.

Kellyn

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 9:40 AM Peter Gram <peter.m.gram_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kyle
>
> The Sql Server documentation is not a bad place to start and for a quick
> intro to SQL server and locking here is a starting point 1) .
> The handling of read consistency is dependent on the locking mod and how
> you have configured the database.
> That is "read committed" behaved differently depending on database
> configuration.
>
> 1)
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/data/adonet/sql/snapshot-isolation-in-sql-server
>
> Best regards/Venlig hilsen
>
> Peter Gram
> Sæbyholmsvej 18 DK-2500 Valby
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/S%C3%A6byholmsvej+18+DK-2500+Valby?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> Mobile: (+45) 5374 7107
> Email: peter.m.gram_at_gmail.com
>
> <http://oaktable.net/members>
>

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 17:54, kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know of any good books, websites that explain how SQL Server
>> and MySQL manage read consistency, i.e creating point in time views of
>> data? An explanation like the beginning of Jonathan Lewis' Oracle 8i Book
>> would be greatly appreciated. I understand Oracle and Postgres read
>> consistency but don't know MySQL or SQL Server.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kyle
>>
>> --

*Kellyn Gorman*