Re: SQL Server & MySQL

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 12:08:23 -0500

On 2/13/22 11:54, kyle Hailey wrote:

Does anyone know of any good books, websites that explain how SQL Server and MySQL manage read consistency, i.e creating point in time views of data? An explanation like the beginning of Jonathan Lewis' Oracle 8i Book would be greatly appreciated. I understand Oracle and Postgres read consistency but don't know MySQL or SQL Server.

Thanks
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I dunno about the SQL Server, but a decent explanation of MySQL concurrency control is here:

https://medium.com/_at_ajones1_999/understanding-mysql-multiversion-concurrency-control-6b52f1bd5b7e

Of course, there is always the fine manual:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/innodb-multi-versioning.html

Jonathan probably knows a bit about SQL Server, he was engaged in the architecture debate with Grant Fritchey, a SQL Server guru, a few years ago. Here is what I am still able to find from that debate:

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/databases/oracle-databases/oracle-heap-tables-or-sql-server-clustered-indexes-jonathan-lewis-and-grant-fritchey-live-debate/

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/databases/sql-server/learn/oracle-to-sql-server-crossing-the-great-divide-part-1/

--
Mladen Gogala