RE: Statistics of the Oracle version used in percent

From: Clay Jackson <"Clay>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 21:21:27 +0000

Amen on the gate/test/whatever you want to call it.

At every shop I worked in, we had SOME sort of “test suite” that we applied to ANY Quarterly Update, Release or major patch that we got from Oracle; which is why we were usually 2 month behind on the Quarterly patches. I can’t count the number of “issues” those suites uncovered, and the list is full of “We applied this patch/update/release and (some critical SQL) performance went sideways”.

There are lots of ways to do that, from several different vendors, including Oracle Real Application Testing.

Clay

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 2:07 PM
To: Clay Jackson (cjackson) <Clay.Jackson_at_quest.com>; ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de; 'list, oracle' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: Statistics of the Oracle version used in percent

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Well said. Those are great reasons for moving forward.

As a gate, a test suite or “regression test” that key features still worked correctly and that any plan degradations were either still within performance tolerance or had a count of underflowing performance requirements that could be handled was also useful.

Larry put it extremely well when he answered why the first release of Oracle that was sold was “Version 2.” ( “We knew no one would want to buy version 1”.)

Good luck. I don’t believe you will be able to get a reliable report of the percentage of each version and patch release in use. I write this with some confidence that enough sites are prohibited by confidentiality and security requirements from answering such questions to make any report of versions in use reliable.

And very likely any report from Oracle Marketing is correlated with percentage of licensees making some use of the latest release.

Again, good luck.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Clay Jackson (Redacted sender "Clay.Jackson" for DMARC) Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 3:45 PM
To: ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de<mailto:ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de>; list, oracle Subject: RE: Statistics of the Oracle version used in percent

Don’t know about the percentages, but, when I was a DBA and DBA manager, we upgraded for one (or more) of four reasons, usually in this order

  1. There’s a bug fix we need
  2. Lack of support (auditors love to jump on this one)
  3. Cost of extended support (bean counters will jump on this)
  4. There’s a new feature we need (or is required by an application)

Clay Jackson

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> On Behalf Of ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de<mailto:ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de> Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 12:18 PM
To: list, oracle <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Statistics of the Oracle version used in percent

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi all,

Is there a study that shows the percentage of used Oracle versions in 2021? Hopefully not influenced by the Oracle marketing team.

I am also interested in knowing what motivates users to go to a new version. As well as what scares them to upgrade.

Opinions from some experienced DBAs would be helpful.

Thanks

Ahmed