Re: Is ADG required for backing up from a standby

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 11:26:06 -0700

One subtlety:  If you plan to perform incremental backups on the DataGuard standby database, and if you plan to use a block-change tracking (BCT) file on the standby to optimize those incremental backups, then using a BCT file on a DataGuard standby requires an *Active *DataGuard license.  Search for the text "block change tracking" HERE
<https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/faq-active-data-guard.html>.

Of course, some may say, "/standby is not production so BCT is not needed/", but incremental backups without BCT on very large databases can overrun timeslots, so that decision should be made on a case-by-case basis.