Re: Database comparison

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 23:38:16 -0400

Pap, do you work for Snowflake? From your discussions I know you to be a competent Oracle DBA and yet, you bring up a crappy propaganda like this? You haven't even mentioned TPC-H and its results:

http://tpc.org/tpch/

No Snowflake in TPC-H 3.0 despite the database itself mentioning the schema:

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/sample-data-tpch.html

So there is that magical database which doesn't need indexes, administration, compression and is scalable up to effing infinity but they don't do TPC-H? And you bring up for discussion something that is obviously a Snowflake sales pitch, full of half truths and downright lies. What's the motive behind that? Do you work for Snowflake? Are you on commission? Snowflake is being sold as a magical solution for all things data warehouse, but they haven't bother to produce even a single benchmark that would help me rate them. They are selling very aggressively and this is not the first time I hear about them. Even Oracle is playing nice with them and has created GG adapter for Snowflake:

https://www.snowflake.com/blog/continuous-data-replication-into-snowflake-with-oracle-goldengate/

Yet virtually nothing about this database is known. There is no free stuff that can help you learn it. No explanation for the outrageous claims ("no indexes"). As of now, I regard Snowflake as MIPS ("Marketing Invention for Pushing Sales"). And yet you bring up such a low quality laughable "comparison" despite being a competent Oracle DBA. Why is that?

If you want a huge cloud based DW database, try Microsoft Data Lake. I have some good experiences with that. That is a real DB, SQL Server on steroids, and it needs a DBA, indexes and the whole nine yards. It is based on proven and rock solid SQL Server data warehouse reputation. For now, Snowflake looks more like a data whorehouse product.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant