Re: Shareplex

From: Rich J <rich242j_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:22:24 -0500

Hey Saad,

In the last month, I used SharePlex to migrate 4 schemas from 12.1 on AIX to 19.6 on OL7 (major version and endian change). It's a logical replication, replaying DML (and most DDL, which is configurable) in the target database. To start, I did a data pump export/import from an SCN. Once in place, the replication was started from that SCN (plus 1). I left that running for about 6 days, as the export/import took almost 10 hours due to the data volume and network bandwidth and I wanted to have enough time to restart in case there were issues. The only issues I encountered were a short hiccup due to the network being over an internet VPN thanks to COVID delays in getting our dedicated MPLS up. SharePlex seamlessly picked up where it left off after the network hiccup. After much testing and two full test runs, the actual transfer went flawlessly.

This migration was made a little more complex because our 19.6 target database is used as a SharePlex source for our reporting database (cascading replication), and the latter setup is still being used. So, we had a term license for the migration and we have an annual license for the reporting database replication. Given this complexity and timelines, we employed technical services ("consultant") for our setup, and I'm happy with the result.

My only real gripe is that I know that our peak DML times cause some (minor) delay in the replay on the target, but I don't know how to measure it. In DG, there's a view to get a histogram of apply lag times. In SharePlex, I don't see anything like that. There's detailed information on each piece of SharePlex (read, export, import, post), but nothing I can find that tells me how long it's taking rows to get from source to target. Then again, I'm still very new to SharePlex.

Very happy with SharePlex. Would definitely recommend.

My $.02,
Rich