Re: Block size qn

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:03:24 +0100

A critical reference document about blocksizes is this one from Roger McNical (Mr. Tablescan):
https://blogs.oracle.com/smartscan-deep-dive/random-thoughts-on-block-sizes

Read it all, but here's an important pair of myth-buster points:

  1. A quick scan of the data layer regression tests showed a very large number running on 16k blocks
  2. Oracle typically runs it DW stress tests on 16k blocks

From my own experience:
a) There are a couple of boundary cases where a 16KB or 32KB block size has a negative effect (typically due to bugs) b) Using multiple block sizes in a single database is probably sub-optimal - but it is possible to find special cases. c) For RAC systems a block size that fits a single message on the interconnect is a nice idea
d) Creating realistic tests of the effects of different block sizes is very hard and very time-consuming

Regards
Jonathan Lewis