Re: Block size qn

From: Orlando L <oralrnr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:29:56 -0500

Thank you all. I am not talking about mixing 8K and 16K. It is either one or the other. Looks like we have less to worry about row chaining with 16K where data for one row cannot fit in a 8K block. I read the link provided by Jonathan. It looks like 16K are tested thoroughly by Oracle corp ("thoroughly tested just like 8k blocks"). No reason not to consider 16K if that is going to be the only size used in the DB. It will be a typical DW with loads in the nights and queries during days.

Neil, can you please explain "Larger block sizes will increase index block contention". Why would there be contention for an index block? If the data in the index blocks are accessed frequently, wouldn't the chances of the index blocks being cached go up, hence producing better results. I think the assumption here is that the index blocks can contain way more 'rows' than data blocks. If the individual rows in the index blocks are accessed simultaneously and if they are in memory, how would there be contention? Is it because in DW the queries are typically performing range scans and multiple queries could be doing range scans simultaneously on frequently accessed blocks. If that is the case, if there are 2 queries accessing the same block and if they are both readers, can they not read the block simultaneously? Am I understanding this correctly

Thanks for your time.

Orlando