Re: How to resolve core dumps from ORA-07445: exception encountered: [audfro()+4976]

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 12:38:17 -0500

Dave,

We have been trying to track down root causes; what we have found so far is that a vast majority of the core dumps (most, but not all) come from a 3rd party application (Ellucian Banner ERP), using a very specific function in one of their "authorization" packages (the same one pops up again and again). However, while we have identified that particular function as causing most of the core dumps, the bulk of the function executions do not produce a core dump (meaning, the function is run quite often, and we don't see a 1:1 ratio for core dumps). I can even run it by hand and was not able to reproduce the problem on demand.

So while we could probably stop the core dumps by telling people to stop using the ERP, I kinda have this feeling our employer (a Big 10 University) would not approve too much. We have also been in contact with the ERP vendor, but so far have not learned anything new.

My SR with Oracle Support has been escalated to Sev 1, and we finally hooked up with an analyst that has been very helpful. We have identified several bugs that are probably related, filed a new one, and we are waiting for a diagnostic patch.

--
Charles Schultz