Re: [External] X-Windows Over VPN Issues

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 02:46:31 +0000

I've had GREAT success with VirtualBox installed and an Ubuntu VM in it. I do ALL my ssh terminals - with and without -X - in it. MUCH simpler and better than puTTY and WinSCP. Now using VB + Ubuntu on my new MacBook. I'm a MacMoron, 1st one, but VB + Ubu LET' ME WORK NORMALLY. Don't try to make Winders Linux-friendly, it's NOT. VB allows you all the pluses of a VM - adjustability, tweaking, snapshots (to fall back to) without the limitations of Winders, or MacOS for that matter. I've used this combo for over 10 yrs on at least 8 PCs with total satisfaction.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Rich J <rich242j_at_gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:12:10 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: [External] X-Windows Over VPN Issues

Hey Scott,

I've had this issue for years because our AIX boxes (that run Oracle) have all generic accounts locked out. So, out of the box, I can't use any of Oracle's GUIs.

So, to run any Oracle GUI, I need to:

  1. Have a local X-Windows server/display.
  2. Enable access on the local X server (listening for access and xhost authorization).
  3. Enable X11 forwarding on whatever SSH terminal you're using.
  4. Use magic cookie for X11 authentication.
  5. Make sure the sshd allows "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the remote server.

I use Cygwin-X for my local X server and PuTTY/KiTTY for SSH.

On starting Cygwin-X with the the "--listen tcp" parameter for startxwin, I launch an X-term and allow the remote display with "xhost +hostname" where "hostname" is your remote SSH server. One can also open this wide for any remote servers by using "xhost +", but that's not recommended, except for maybe troubleshooting.

Fire up the SSH client, making sure that forwarding of X11 is enabled and it's using MIT Magic Cookies, and login to the remote server. If all of the above conditions are met, you should be able to open an X-windows GUI back to your X-server.

If you're like me and need to "su - oracle" to get anything Oracle done, then your $DISPLAY variable is now empty and will not be able to work -- yet. Before the "su -", do an "echo $DISPLAY", then "xauth list". Now you can "su - oracle" and set the DISPLAY variable to what it was on the prior login (e.g. "localhost:10.0"). Finally, "xauth add [line from xauth list above]", where the last parameter is the line from "xauth list" that has the matching key to your DISPLAY. For example, if your DISPLAY is "localhost:10.0", look for an xauth output of "servername/unix:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 blahblahblahblah".

This is a very messy email, but hope it makes a little bit of sense or at least fills in what pieces your might need. GL!

Rich

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 1:35 PM Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> wrote:

I did check the enable x11 forwarding in SecureCRT. There isn’t any place to set the authority.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration

Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520

srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org<mailto:jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>> Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:21 PM
To: oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>>; Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> Subject: Re: [External] X-Windows Over VPN Issues

I don;t know about xming, but with putty and cygwin I had to do:

  1. Putty
  2. Under default settings, go to connection / ssh /x11. Enable X11 and set authority to C:\cygwin64\home\xxxxxxxx\.Xauthority

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator

Information Technology Department

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> 4/7/20 2:09 PM >>>

With everyone working from home, a new issue has arisen. We can’t get x-windows to work over VPN. That makes it difficult to run things like dbua.

Our environment:

Windows 10 laptop – at home connected via Cisco VPN to work

Xming running on laptop

SecureCRT running on laptop, under Options -> session options, X11 Forwarding turned on

Linux 7 server

Oracle 12, 18, and 19

I’ve tried setting the DISPLAY to the IP address on my laptop (from ipconfig) and to 127.0.0.1:0.0.

When I try to run dbua, it sits for a while then returns the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11.XToolkit

I’m sure someone has been able to get this to work. If anyone can let me know what needs to be done, I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration

Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520

srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov’t Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.