RE: Stand Alone DBs vs Stand Alone with Oracle Restart?

From: Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 00:19:36 +0000

Hello Jay!
You make a good point – and I understand the importance of keeping skills sharp. I have shown the Ops folks basic crsctl commands to check if DBs are up and agree that good documentation will go a long way to alleviate the worry. I don’t want to sacrifice what I am comfortable with just to try and make it easier for someone else to jump in once in a while. Certainly good points to think about.

Thanks,
Sallie

From: Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:47 AM To: Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Stand Alone DBs vs Stand Alone with Oracle Restart?

Sallie,

  I've chosen to stay with GI/Oracle Restart/ASM, so that I can keep my skills up-to-date. I think it is good experience to have under my belt. I believe the only real complexity it will add for you backup person (while you are on vacation) is when they might need to add disk space. But that shouldn't be too hard to document. If you want them to be up to speed on patching, than you might want to reduce the complexity.

Jay

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 8:55 AM Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>> wrote: Hi –
We currently have a 2 node Oracle RAC and will be going to a Stand Alone DB simply because RAC is overkill for the applications we have. I also have 2 stand alone DBs and for those I’m using ASM and Oracle Restart. I like ASM and also like the tools that can be used with Oracle Restart (srvctl, crsctl). But, in looking to move to a pure stand alone environment, I’d like to get your opinions on using ASM and Oracle Restart vs using regular file storage. We are a smaller shop and I’m the only official Oracle DBA and I’ve had a hard time trying to get the SQL Server DBA to engage enough in order for me to feel like I have a good backup resource. So I guess I’m wondering if I just went to simple standalone with no GI/Oracle Restart/ASM, do you think that would be easier to manage for someone who is not as familiar with Oracle? And also would that be easier for upgrades and patching? I’ve always used GI/ASM so I’m just trying to look at it from all perspectives – so I can take a vacation without being worried about who’s minding the shop!

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Sallie Cottingham, OCP
Database Administrator
Comptroller of the Treasury
Technology Solutions
425 Fifth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37243-34001
sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov> 615-401-7962