RE: Stand Alone DBs vs Stand Alone with Oracle Restart?

From: Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 00:11:01 +0000

Hi Andrew!
Thank you for the response and helpful documents. To clarify are you saying that it is a waste of space to use Oracle Restart? Thanks,
Sallie

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:01 AM To: Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Stand Alone DBs vs Stand Alone with Oracle Restart?

You can actually run Oracle restart without ASM. I have done so in 12, 18, and 19. Its kind of wasteful of space, but if the disk is cheap the management is useful. Steps are in the blog below, and they have been tested up through 19c.

https://dbakerber.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/oracle-restart-on-file-system/

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:55 AM Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>> wrote: Hi –
We currently have a 2 node Oracle RAC and will be going to a Stand Alone DB simply because RAC is overkill for the applications we have. I also have 2 stand alone DBs and for those I’m using ASM and Oracle Restart. I like ASM and also like the tools that can be used with Oracle Restart (srvctl, crsctl). But, in looking to move to a pure stand alone environment, I’d like to get your opinions on using ASM and Oracle Restart vs using regular file storage. We are a smaller shop and I’m the only official Oracle DBA and I’ve had a hard time trying to get the SQL Server DBA to engage enough in order for me to feel like I have a good backup resource. So I guess I’m wondering if I just went to simple standalone with no GI/Oracle Restart/ASM, do you think that would be easier to manage for someone who is not as familiar with Oracle? And also would that be easier for upgrades and patching? I’ve always used GI/ASM so I’m just trying to look at it from all perspectives – so I can take a vacation without being worried about who’s minding the shop!

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Sallie Cottingham, OCP
Database Administrator
Comptroller of the Treasury
Technology Solutions
425 Fifth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37243-34001
sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov> 615-401-7962

--

Andrew W. Kerber

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Feb 14 2020 - 01:11:01 CET

Original text of this message