Re: Migration to Postgres training

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 13:07:36 -0400

On 8/8/19 10:46 AM, Bill Ferguson wrote:
> My organization is trying to push Postgres as well, but running some
> basic numbers, it wouldn't save my organization any money, just
> transfer the costs to a different account.
>
> It also doesn't even address the added costs of migrating every single
> Apex application into a whole new environment, with entirely new code.
> With any luck I'll be retiring next year and my tax dollars can either
> spent on keeping things working, or taking them all offline for
> several years while they get rewritten in something harder to
> maintain, and just as expensive to run.
>
> Bill Ferguson

That is the reason why I really don't like Apex: it's a vendor lock-in. If you use Zend, Django, Symfony or any number of other MVC frameworks, your application development will be slightly harder but adjusting to another variety of relational database will be a breeze. Of course, real programmers use DBD::Oracle and CGI.